[CentOS] rhel source rpms

Daniel de Kok danieldk at pobox.com
Sat Jun 10 22:01:15 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 14:45 -0700, bruce wrote:
> i understand that centos is a derivative of rhel, created from the
> exact/underluing source files used to create rhel. if this is the case, is
> it possible to get the actual source SRPMS for either RHEL, or for CentOS?

The CentOS source RPMs are available from the CentOS mirrors. The RHEL
source RPMs are also mirrored by various sites around the world, for
instance:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/RedHat/ftp/redhat/linux/enterprise/

> i'm curious to know what's better, using CentOS, or the latest fedora FC
> version...

It kinda depends on what you want. The following page describes the
differences between RHEL and Fedora:

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/migrate/whichlinux/

Fedora has short release cycles, and more cutting edge software as a
result. Many people run Fedora on desktop machines, and CentOS or RHEL
on their server. I personally like CentOS on the desktop too, because it
is stable and not on a constant move.

-- Daniel