[CentOS] Problem with dual-booting soft-RAID

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 16:29:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 10:32, Feizhou wrote:

> > Well ... at least that is what I have experienced in the past ... maybe
> > someone else who is smarter than me would care to comment / verify this
> > behavior.
>
> I won't say that I am smarter than Johnny but I will verify that this is
> the behaviour of grub and is so documented.
>
> "Note that GRUB does not distinguish IDE from SCSI - it simply counts
> the drive numbers from zero, regardless of their type. Normally, any IDE
> drive number is less than any SCSI drive number, although that is not
> true if you change the boot sequence by swapping IDE and SCSI drives in
> your BIOS."
>
> found at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Naming-convention.html
>
> So having the default menu item load from the first disk works in this case.

Hmmm, maybe the machines where I've had odd behavior have been
mixed ide/scsi with bios set to boot from the 1st scsi.  But
some of the newer ones make you specify in the bios setup the
complete order of boot devices and don't like it if you swap
in a different sized device of the same type without running
the setup again.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com