[CentOS] Old (really old) programs under CentOS.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 17:09:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 00:25, Lamar Owen wrote:

> >> Now, I've thought about a couple of possibilities:
> >> 1.)    QEMU or VMware or similar running a RH5.2 instance under CentOS 4;
> >> 2.)    Running a libc5 setup on CentOS 4.  I'd rather do this, as security fixes would at least be available.
>
> >I'd expect the VMware route to be completely painless and have
> >the least surprises.  It doesn't make much sense to throw extra
> >work at something with no future.  Security fixes probably won't
> >help with the parts you have to keep running anyway - just
> >firewall access to anything else.
>
> After more research, I found a copy, in my personal download archives, of the old AOLserver tarball linked with glibc2.1, from 1999.  I actually found both the libc5 and the glibc 2.1; a good thing, too, since they're not available from aolserver.com anymore, only the full open source versions are there.  There is a compat-glibc package for CentOS 2.1 for glibc2.1 (RedHat Linux 6.2's glibc); seems CentOS 2.1 would be a good fit (and, since this is after all the CentOS list, need to stay on topic).

Another possibility would be RH7.3 which is rock-solid and still
sort-of supported by the fedora legacy project if the compatibility
libs would work.  I still have a couple of 7.3 servers running
things I've been too lazy to upgrade - and because I don't think
the stock mod_perl has worked right again until FC5.  The uptime
counter has rolled over at least twice on one of them so it
hasn't been a problem.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com