[CentOS] SSL: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost.localdomain

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Tue Jun 13 17:17:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 10:06:12 AM -0700, Paul Heinlein (heinlein at madboa.com) wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, M. Fioretti wrote:
>
> >Right now I am rebuilding a new certificate on the server, byt I am
> >setting my.vps.fqdn.name in openssl.cnf as CommonName_default and
> >running the provided CA Perl Script. This would have the same
> >effect as your command line option below, wouldn't it?

I have just done it but this time, after copying the cert and key on
my home pc and running

>openssl x509 -in mynewcertCert.pem  -fingerprint -subject -issuer -serial -hash -noout
>
>c_rehash .

I get:

Doing .
WARNING: mynewcertPrivateKey.pem does not contain a certificate or CRL: skipping
mynewcertCert.pem => 2764d17c.0

I had got no warning whatsoever the first time. What does this mean?
Should I worry, or redo/change something?

Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Any medium powerful enough to extend man's reach is powerful enough to
topple his world.  To get the medium's magic to work for one's aims
rather than against them is to attain literacy.
       Alan Kay, "Computer Software", Scientific American, Sep. 1984