[CentOS] Re: Changing from dynamic ip to static ip

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue Jun 13 17:45:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 10:34 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> William L. Maltby spake the following on 6/13/2006 4:41 AM:
> > On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 18:53 -0400, Thomas E Dukes wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have been on a dynamic ip for about 5 years and have just upgraded to a
> >> static ip.
> > <snip>
> >
> > I almost didn't mention it because it's so common a concern now, but
> > just in case.
> >
> > Static IP gives attackers a lot more leeway in their attempts to
> > penetrate.<snip>

> I have a dynamic address at home, and according to the logs, it hasn't changed
> for over a year.
> So I think the firewall and TCP Wrappers stuff applies to ANY machine
> connected to the internet.

Yep. It's just that whenever someone makes the switch, someone else
always remembers to say what I said, essentially. It's really like a
gun: always assume it's loaded and handle with care. So too, regardless
of static or dynamic, secure your setup. *But*, it's generally
considered a little less risky to have a frequently changing IP.

BTW, my IP used to not vary much either. But now TW Cable here in the
Piedmont/Triad Region has recently made some changes and it is changing
more frequently now. I tend to defeat it, not on purpose *yet*, because
I stay "up" for extended periods. But they are getting "smarter" (or
stupider, depending on your goals) about it.

--
Bill