[CentOS] Simple backup program

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Jun 14 17:09:54 UTC 2006

Ajay Sharma wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > I am looking for a simple backup program that I can use to backup a
> > CentOS box to a local tape drive.  Hopefully someone here can give
> > me a recommendation.
> >
> > This is what I need:
> >     - Simple launching of manual backups (preferably from the
> > command       line)
> >     - Ability to span tapes for a large backup
> >     - Proper treatment of hardlinked files
> >     - Notification via email or similar when it is ready for the
> > next       tape.
> >
> > I tried mondo-rescue, but decided against it after it spent 4 hours
> > just trying to index the files (it never actually started the
> > backup).
> >
> > I am considering Amanda, but the setup is a bit complex and, based
> > on the docs, the tape spanning capability isn't the best.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions?  I would think that there would be a
> > simple program out there to backup and restore from tape without all
> > of the extra scheduling and indexing features.
>
> http://flexbackup.sf.net
>
> I used that for years, but the network grew and needed a "bigger"
> solution so I switched to backuppc which is working great.

I'm using backuppc.  I just need something to dump the backuppc
machine to tape for an offsite or last-resort backup.  The problem is
that backuppc is currently using 161GB (compressed) and the tapes only
hold 40GB each, so I need something with some sort of intelligent
tape-spanning capability.

I haven't seen flexbackup.  I'm currently evaluating afbackup.

--
Bowie