[CentOS] Microsoft-ds and H.323/Q.931? Which services are these?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Jun 14 19:43:05 UTC 2006

M. Fioretti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just ran nmap on a remote server with a minimal (or so I
> believed) Centos 4.3 installation. Besides what I expected (ssh,
> httpd, smtp) it found as open for listening these ports:
>
> Starting Nmap 3.95 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-06-14 17:57 CEST
> Interesting ports on <my.remote.server>
> (The 1667 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
> 445/tcp  filtered microsoft-ds
> 1720/tcp filtered H.323/Q.931
>
> which programs are these, and why should they be part of a server install? How can I find them so I can uninstall them?

your /etc/services file should have info that you can always look at (
but its a text file, does not indicate whats actually running where.. )

to check for whats actually on there, use something like lsof ( the man
page for lsof is very well done, a worthy read ). a Shortcut here :

lsof -i :445

will tell you whats up with your port 445.