[CentOS] Enabling MD5 (longer passwords) after installation?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Wed Jun 14 20:42:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 14:50:01 PM -0500, Jason Bradley Nance (aitrus at tresgeek.net) wrote:
> >Can I "move" the live, running system to longer passwords, and how?
> >or is a reinstall necessary?
>
> You want to use pwconv and grpconv to swap your /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group files to using shadow files.

/etc/passwd has all 'x' in the passwd field, and /etc/shadow has
unreadable strings in the same field. This means shadow passwords are
already enabled and I don't need at all to run pwconv/grpconv, right?

> Run "authconfig" and make sure you have selected to use md5 and
> shadow passwords first.

Does it matter when I run it? I mean before or after pwconv/grpconv,
assuming I still need to use them?

	TIA,
		Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

"Get real! This is a discussion group, not a helpdesk. You post
something, we discuss its implications. If the discussion happens to
answer a question you've asked, that's incidental."
				 -- nobull in comp.lang.perl.misc