[CentOS] Re: Restoring data from disk w/ messed up partition tables

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jun 15 15:49:42 UTC 2006

techlists at comcast.net spake the following on
6/15/2006 7:23 AM:
> As a follow up, I was able to find a *free* program to attempt to recover my lost data. (I can't find the name of the program in a quick search, if anyone's interested I'll check my system at home tonight and post it).
>
> The software was able to see the lost partitions, but there was a huge amount of CRC errors in trying to read the disk. So I suspect there was a failure of the physical drive itself, more than just mere corruption of the partition table. This was a drive that fell on the floor once, but seemed ok when I installed Centos on it, so I left it in the system. Maybe it was already weak, and the erratic electricity killed it for good.
>
> I was able to recover quite a bit of lost data, but a lot of it appears to be gone forever. This is a good reminder on the importance of keeping backups of important stuff.
>
> Paul
Another lesson... Never use a dropped hard drive for critical data. Some
drives still use glass for the platters, but even the aluminum platter drives
don't like more than a 1 or 2 G's in a fall. Hitting a hard floor from 3 feet
could easily hit 6 or more G's of force. Drives are cheap, recovery services
are expensive.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and