[CentOS] If Trying to Recover a Damaged Partition: kbs-CentOS-Extras Has a Tool

William L. Maltby

BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 19:13:29 UTC 2006

Recently (and for ages, I'm sure) folks have suffered partition
destruction and had to try and recover. In the recent thread, the victim
eventually had to resort to Google and fond some package that I can not
remember now.

Well, I was perusing my YumInfo.lst.05, for general info, and I
discovered this (potential) little gem. Thought I would pass it on and
make it "more googleable" by adding a few keywords at the end of this.
Here's the info summary.

Name   : testdisk
Arch   : i386
Version: 6.3
Release: 1.el4.kb
Size   : 480 k
Repo   : kbs-CentOS-Extras
 Tool to check and undelete partition. Works with FAT12, FAT16, FAT32,
NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, BeFS, CramFS, HFS, JFS, Linux Raid, Linux Swap,
LVM, LVM2, NSS, ReiserFS, UFS, XFS

I hope it actually "looks for file-system key stuff" instead of just
examining the damaged blocks (often just missing the 0x05 (?) valid
flag). If so, it looks "Mahvelous Dahling!" to me. We just need to get
some time to exercise this, create some test cases and find out how
really good it is. As time permits, I'll do some of that, as I'm
reconfig bunch of stuff all the time and have some old small disks (and
systems to match that I can resurrect... Windows95 from Genuine floppies
anybody?) and the interest. I'll add to this thread as things are
discovered.

Anyone who has done this already, or has firsthand experience, can allow
me to continue my on-going learning of new stuff by reporting on this
package so I don't invest the time to evaluate this properly.

This is just a bunch of searchable words, feel free to augment as
appropriate in your POV.

MBR, master, boot, recover, restore, lost, damaged, unerase.
--
Bill