[CentOS] CentOS-4.4 - Some major changes on the way

Johnny Hughes

Tue Jun 20 11:03:16 UTC 2006

I would like to take the time to inform people that CentOS-4.4 will
contain some major changes.  The changes are significant enough that I
would like to spell out some of them now, probably at least a month
before the release of the upstream "EL4 update 4" is released.

The Mozilla Suite (Browser, Mail, Chat clients) will be replaced by
SeaMonkey.  This is due to Mozilla's change in policy and support for
older versions.

The Firefox 1.0.x (currently 1.0.8) web browser will be replaced by
Firefox 1.5.x (currently 1.5.0.3).  We currently have a version of
Firefox 1.5.x in the CentOSPlus repo.  That version will be replaced by
the EL4 version after some more testing ... and the new version will be
rolled into CentOS-4.4 in the Base repository when CentOS-4.4 is
released.

The Thunderbird 1.0.x (currently 1.0.8) will be upgraded to Thunderbird
1.5.x (currently 1.5.0.2).

The OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 will be replaced by OpenOffice 1.1.5.  This
allows better sharing of files between OpenOffice.org 2.0 and CentOS
clients.

-------------------------------

All these changes will be implemented upstream and rolled out in the
released source code, so they will be incorporated into CentOS as well.
We will fully test these packages prior to release of the CentOS-4.4
ISOs, however these changes are fairly substantial.

I would also like to remind people who are more cautious that CentOS has
a vault that will contain CentOS-4.3 after we shift the main mirrors to
CentOS-4.4.  The vault is available at:

http://vault.centos.org/

I am not suggesting that people don't upgrade (as security updates would
require one to maintain the current version), but I am just providing
information so that if the updates break something, you can easily get
back to a known previous version.

We have not had any problems so far with the new packages in our
testing, and they will be deemed STABLE by upstream when they are
released, however these changes are by far the most significant since
the release of CentOS-4 and I think they deserve some special attention.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes
CentOS-4 Lead Developer