[CentOS] CentOS-4.4 - Some major changes on the way

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Tue Jun 20 16:29:53 UTC 2006

Jim Perrin wrote:
>> I would like to take the time to inform people that CentOS-4.4 will
>> contain some major changes.  The changes are significant enough that I
>> would like to spell out some of them now, probably at least a month
>> before the release of the upstream "EL4 update 4" is released.
>

> As a side note to this, I think it's worth noting that the kernel
> currently included in the beta shows some very significant performance
> increases for systems under load or currently swapping (a problem
> previously mentioned on the list). The 2.6.9-39 kernel has a number of
> updated features including netpoll over bonded interfaces, better acpi
> handling, better NFS cache handling, an updated 3ware driver

I have had problems with a 3ware 7006-2 (3w-xxxx driver) using raid 1 on
CentOS 4.3.  Any attempt to do a check of the mirror always results in
an oops after some amount of time (2 - 20 minutes).  Hopefully the
update will help resolve the problem.

Kinda disappointing that 3ware does not support the 2.6 kernel with the
7xxx cards.  There are no downloads available on their site for 2.6
kernel and 7xxx cards anyway.

Controller info from 3dmd:
Monitor version:	ME7X 1.01.00.040
Firmware version:	FE7X 1.05.00.068
BIOS version:	BE7X 1.08.00.048
PCB version:	Rev4
Achip version:	3.20
Pchip version:	1.30-66
Model:	7006-2

[user at server ~]$ cat /proc/scsi/3w-xxxx/0 | head -n 2
scsi0: 3ware Storage Controller
Driver version: 1.26.00.039