[CentOS] SuperMicro X7DBE with CentOS4?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Jun 20 21:32:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 at 5:26pm, Bowie Bailey wrote

> I am planning to build a server based on the SuperMicro X7DBE+-O
> motherboard.  This server will have two dual-core Xeon processors and
> a 3ware 9550SX raid card.
>
> Has anyone built a server based on this motherboard?  Are there any
> issues with the smp/dual-core support in CentOS4 that might cause
> problems?

CentOS4 has no issues with SMP/dual core.

> I appreciate any input.  I'm just looking to find out about any
> possible problems before I spend the money for the MB, CPU, and
> amazingly expensive RAM.

Is there any reason you're locked into Xeon/FB-DIMM?  SuperMicro makes
many rather nice Opteron boards, with good ol' DDR SDRAM.  And there
aren't many areas where Xeon outperforms Opteron these days, if any.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering