[CentOS] xorg display problems

Mike M

linux-user at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 20 22:03:28 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Up until today everything has been fine with CentOS on my Toshiba laptop.

I booted into CentOS 4.3 today and Kudzu detected my video card for some
reason.  I let it configure it (wish I hadn't now).

I can still get in. X and Gnome work.  But the video resolution is
800x640.  The LCD is capable of 1024x768.  I cannot change it using
Gnome tools or direct editing of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

With the Gnome "Display" system tool I cannot change the monitor to
"Generic LCD Display".

Any help you can offer on getting the 1024x768 display mode to work
again would be appreciated.

Here are the relevant sections from /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "Unknown monitor"