[CentOS] Appended 1 in fstab entries CentOS4.X installs

Wed Jun 21 10:15:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 08:20 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Chris Weisiger wrote:
> >
> > its like every other install the "1" gets appended....anyone come across
> > this...
> > if show how can i change it....i know its not like it makes a difference
> > but I just
> > noticed wondering why this happens.
>
> there would have already been a label=/ on one of the drives when you
> did the install.. the installer will append a '1' to prevent breaking
> any other config's you might have already had ( specially if the machine
> is dual / tripple booting ).

I have seen this behavior when reusing already created partitions and
doing an install on top of those.  The a new label is used, as you are
not erasing the partitions.

How I work around this (on partitions I can afford to lose) is to double
click on the partition in the installer, remove it, and add it back.
Since it is recreating the partition, it uses the correct label.  This
also erases your partition, so only do it for ones you are going to
reformat anyway :)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes