[CentOS] yum and python. grief and grief. CentOS 4.3

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 21 12:48:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 13:40 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > [root at wlmlfs08 ~]# rpm -qa rpm\*
> > rpm-python-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
> > rpm-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
> > rpm-build-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
> > rpmdb-CentOS-4.2-0.20051011.i386
> > rpmdb-CentOS-4.3-0.20060314.i386
> > rpm-libs-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
> > rpm-libs-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
> > rpm-build-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
> > rpm-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
> > rpm-devel-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
> > rpmforge-release-0.3.4-1.el4.rf.i386
> > rpm-python-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
> > rpm-devel-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
> > [root at wlmlfs08 ~]#
>
> you obviously have a fubar'd rpmdb and/or a broken update/upgrade that
> you never fixed!
>
> did you just never realise there were duplicates there ?

Never looked before. Remember, this is new to me. Anyway, when I saw
that, I thought of two possibilities and decided to investigate. One is
the possibility you mention. The other is the possibility that answers a
question I posted elsewhere: is "rpm -qa <pkg>\*" reliable.

I posted as I did only so that the WFM answer Jim posted had some
immediate support.

But thanks for pointing it out. Being new, I could have overlooked it
entirely. I'm hoping that its the "... rpm\*" that is the cause rather
than the assumption that it's obviously fubar'd.

--
Bill