[CentOS] RFI: Information for Centos 4 unsupported kernels

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 21 13:56:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 08:15 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 05:47 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 22:32 +0300, Kari Salovaara wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > After rebooting on a new kernel, I remove the ones I don't want to save
> > by doing:
> >
> > rpm -qa | grep kernel | sort
>
> <snip>

> Why not this,
>
>     rpm -qa kernel\*|sort  # Laziness trumping readability here, no
>                            # spaces. But that's not my main point.
>
> instead of what you demonstrate. I tried it on my own (admittedly
> <snip>

Well, I haven't dug heavily into the docs, but ran a small quick test
while investigating a "fubar'd rpm db" that Karan and Ralph caught.
There does appear a difference in output in the two styles of rpm query,
depending on install at this limited stage of investigation. Is it an
advantage or disadvantage? POV/immediate need will determine that I
quess.

My lazy version first.

[root at wlmlfs08 ~]# rpm -qa rpm\* | sort >/tmp/tmp ; cat /tmp/tmp
rpm-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
rpm-build-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-build-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
rpmdb-CentOS-4.2-0.20051011.i386
rpmdb-CentOS-4.3-0.20060314.i386
rpm-devel-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-devel-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
rpmforge-release-0.3.4-1.el4.rf.i386
rpm-libs-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-libs-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
rpm-python-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-python-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
[root at wlmlfs08 ~]#

The suggested version next and a diff at the end.

[root at wlmlfs08 ~]# rpm -qa|grep rpm|sort >/tmp/tmp2;cat /tmp/tmp2; \
> diff /tmp/tmp /tmp/tmp2
redhat-rpm-config-8.0.32.1-1.noarch
rpm-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
rpm-build-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-build-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
rpmdb-CentOS-4.2-0.20051011.i386
rpmdb-CentOS-4.3-0.20060314.i386
rpm-devel-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-devel-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
rpmforge-release-0.3.4-1.el4.rf.i386
rpm-libs-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-libs-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
rpm-python-4.3.3-11_nonptl.i386
rpm-python-4.3.3-13_nonptl.i386
0a1
> redhat-rpm-config-8.0.32.1-1.noarch
[root at wlmlfs08 ~]#

The grep version has the (dis?)advantage of including things not
directly a part of the hunt we were conducting. So for scripting
purposes, it seems that the grep version may have some caveats. But for
"hoomon" investigation, this may be a desirable feature.

This doesn't definitively answer my Q, but gives me an optimism that the
abbreviated form I use a *lot* may be safe. A look at the docs should
confirm. I'll not post on this again unless I see something different.

--
Bill