[CentOS] Centos 4.3/ 64-bit: Java/ Tomcat Optimization

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Thu Jun 22 02:13:39 UTC 2006

Java eh? I guess that means memory hog?

Mostly Opterons you say...so...what are the none Opterons running? Have
you noticed swapping on non-Opteron boxes?

Opterons have automatic memory handling advantages without tuning under
the Linux kernel.

As for I/O, it depends on what kind of patterns you have and what kind
of behaviour do you require. Do you have lots of files in a single
directory? Do you require sync? What is your RAID for?

I have had plenty experience in squeezing performance out of 2.6 kernels
but not that much with Centos 4.x boxes except for discovering that
Centos 4.x kernels don't cut it. As to why I found out later but that
only applies to Intel-based processors apparently...that is the bad vm
patch Redhat applied to their kernels of which the removal will come in
Update 4.

RHEL 4 limiting themselves to ext3 leads to there being less to try...

Anyway, I am very into optimization since that was how I did not have
ask for extra machines for the mail server clusters that I use to watch
over in my previous job.