[CentOS] OT -- BASH

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Thu Jun 22 13:05:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 05:46 -0700, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 07:21 -0500, Robert wrote:
> >><snip>

> > Hint: cpio expects one entry per line (in spite of what it did for you)
> > and grep operates on lines of input. If it's not clear after doing the
> > od -c, call again.  :-)
>
> cpio, like xargs, can accept an argument list terminated by a null
> character rather than whitespace.

Drat! I keep forgetting that things have changed, improvements been
made,... to some of this stuff over the decades! I skipped right over
the "--null" in cpio. Thanks for reminding me to... "man xyz" even old
friends!

>  That what the OP was doing with the
> --null switch (aka -0, also possible with xargs). It's very helpful
> with unpredictable filenames.

He'd have been OK if grep could have done the same for him, I guess.

Hmm... in line with my new found policy of "man old_friends", grep came
close, but "no cigar" with the "-Z/--null" param. However, if the "-a/--
text" param is added, it seems to do OK.

<cranky bitter old man mode>
Why do the GNUrus keep fixing things that aren't broken! I know in this
environ, a series (pipeline) of modules that "do one thing and do it
well" is not as good as a single command to "do all things and none
well".
</cranky bitter old man mode>
:-))

> <snip sig stuff>

Well, enough. Soon the Perlateers will come out and attack!
--
Bill