[CentOS] OT -- BASH

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Thu Jun 22 12:44:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Robert wrote:

> Can someone explain why this:
>    find . -depth -print0 | cpio --null -pmd /tmp/test
> will copy all files in and below the current directory -and- this:
>    find . -depth -print | grep -v .iso$ | wc -l
> will count all the non-iso files -and- this:
>    find . -depth -print | grep  .iso$ | wc -l
> will count *only* the iso files -but- this:
> find . -depth -print0 | grep -v .iso$ | cpio --null -pmd /tmp/test
> doesn't copy *anything*?
> Any suggestions for a work-around would also be most welcome.

Never seen print0 before, but on my system it has the effect of putting
all the filenames in single line.  So grep -v eliminates the one line
that it finds leaving nothing to pass to cpio.

man find
	   -print True; print the full file name on the standard output, followed
              by a newline.

       -print0
              True; print the full file name on the standard output, followed
              by  a null character.  This allows file names that contain new-
              lines to be correctly interpreted by programs that process the
              find output.

cpio will understand the output of -print just fine.  No need to use
print0