[CentOS] Installing TOO USB Drive

Joshua Gimer jgimer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 14:30:35 UTC 2006

The live cd allows you to save your personal settings to a flash drive. As
far as booting from one like knoppix, I am not sure. Just so you know th
live CD doesn't save settings like your printers.conf for CUPS and your
dial-up settings for modem connections. I have had a great experiences with
the live CD, except with the limitations above. If you are not going to use
the installation very much this might be a great alternative.

On 6/25/06, Eric Davis <kristopherdavis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is an option,
>
>     Use VMware workstation and point the New Virtual Machine Wizard to a
> folder on your external USB drive. Install CentOS there. Be sure to select
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 so the proper drivers will be loaded. This will
> allow your XP system to stay intact and allow you to run CentOS at the same
> time.  I do this with my Latitude and it still runs quite fast! This doesn't
> directly solve your problem but is an option.
>
> Eric D
>

> On 6/24/06, Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org> wrote:

> > USB
> > > >

> > > this might not help you, but just so you know - CentOS-4 does not
> > > support installing to or booting from usb drives. You might still be
> > > able to do it using some trick or the other, but officially its not
> > > supported.
> >
> > Haven't gotten around to trying the CentOS Live CD yet.  Does it support
> > customization on a USB key (like Knoppix)?
> >
> > LiveCD+USB key might serve the OP's purpose as an XP alternative.  (Or -
> >
> > my preference - just shrink the XP partition and dual-boot if that is an
> > option for you [e.g. not somebody else's laptop].)
> >
> > Phil

Thx
Joshua Gimer