[CentOS] How do you set the refresh frequency for the X server?

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Mon Jun 26 14:40:14 UTC 2006

Bill:

> Here is some information I have used as background.
>
>     http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/fbdev/HOWTO/3.html

Thanks, there is some interesting information there.  I did some more
googling since my previous post, and I found some examples on how to
*increase* the refresh frequency.  However, in my case I want to set
the refresh frequency to exactly 60 Hz.  I think I also found that
the refresh frequency (usually what you configure in Windows, i.e.,
1024x768 at 75Hz) corresponds to the VertRefresh entry in the xorg.conf
file.  However, when I set that to 60 (instead of the monitor's 56.0
- 85.0 range), the problem didn't go away.  I probably also have to
adjust the HorizSync entry, but I don't know to what exactly.

Alfred