[CentOS] Kernel build on i386 and nohighmem forbidden?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 17:18:09 UTC 2006

> Everything is from CentOS including the kernel sources. I downloaded the SRPM
> and modified the spec file to %define buildsource 1 then did an rpmbuild. Then I
> installed the kernel-sourcecode rpm that it generated. So then I could run the
> kernel config from /usr/src/linux-<version> and then build a custom kernel.

I think that's one of the hardest ways possible to do what you want,
and it may very well not work.

1 Install kernel src.rpm
2 run rpmbbuild -bp kernel.spec to get kernel source tree.
3 copy $BUILDSOURCEDIR/linux-config-for-your-arch.config to $BUILDDIR/.config
4 run make menuconfig (or xconfig or however else you want to do it. )
save config
5 copy config back to where you got it from, with the original name.
6 run rpmbuild -bs kernel.spec
7. rpmbuild --rebuild resulting kernel-src.rpm with --target=arch (i686, x86_64)
8 install resulting kernel rpms.

rough steps, but that should be pretty much what you need to do.

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be