[CentOS] libtiff build error

Jim Perrin

jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 18:48:23 UTC 2006

>  ./configure
>  make clean
>  make

Not going to get into how much of a bad idea this is, or how it should
really be in an rpm.

>  But the make had the following error:
>
>  ./libtool: line 837: g++: command not found

This one line has your winner. You lack the proper build tools to
complete your desired task. You're missing the gcc-c++, and probably
several other things you'll need.

>  make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/tiff-3.8.2/libtiff'

This line would seem to imply that you're building software as root.
This is generally a very bad idea. If the code's cleanup scripts are
wrong, or if there's a typo... it's running as root and could very
easily rm -rf your system, instead or rm -rf the buildroot or tmp
files its using, not to mention other nefarious code tricks that make
this a bad idea.

>  and make install did not work:

that's because you had prior errors.

>  So what is missing?  And where do I start from.

You should really consider reading up on compiling software and/or
building custom rpms.

>  It looks like things are not 'broken' from how far it got.

They're not broken because they haven't gotten that far yet. You're
missing the compiler required to make/break them.

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be