[CentOS] How do you set the refresh frequency for the X server?

Mon Jun 26 13:55:01 UTC 2006
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

During the kickstart installation of the CentOS 4.3 systems I
recently built, anaconda probed for the video card (Intel 945) and
monitor (NEC MultiSync 2070NX).  The optimal setting for this monitor
is 1600x1200 @ 60Hz.  The X server is configured to use 1600x1200,
but it is using a higher refresh rate, which causes the monitor to
display an error message, and it also locks you out of the on-screen-
menu.  How do you translate a 60Hz refresh frequency into the
appropriate horizontal sync and vertical refresh frequencies in the
xorg.conf file?  I can't find anything to change in system-config-
display.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alfred