[CentOS] Installing el3 packages on CentOS 4

Thu Jun 1 19:51:00 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> I understand.  I *do* notice that the package I mentioned (ac3dec) has
> been replaced by a newer (a52dec) package which does exist for el4.  I
> was just curious because I have encountered sort of "interesting"
> packages that I might want to try on dag (eg. multi-gnome-terminal) and
> are not built for el4.  I will keep what you say in mind.  However, if I
> have questions, I'll probably post on the rpmforge mailing list. :-)
> Thanks again!

I don't think I fully addressed the question before, so allow me to
clarify. EL3 binaries are linked against different versions of
libraries than are in EL4, and in some cases library names have
changed. Glibc and kernel differences may also cause issues. If you
want to install an EL3 package, I'd rebuild the srpm at a minimum, but
if dag suddenly stopped building it or releasing it for a particular
EL version, he may have a good reason for this. It may be advisable to
ask why it was not built/released for EL4.

Hope that more clearly answers the question.

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be