[CentOS] PERL module woes

Fri Jun 2 03:21:38 UTC 2006
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>

On Thu, 2006-01-06 at 16:50 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Agreed - the stock RPM packages have the opposite problem - often not
> being recent enough for apps you want to run.  Sometimes you
> can find where someone else has done the work of packaging the
> set of modules you need in versions that work together.  For example,
> RT (Request Tracker) needs a huge number of perl modules that
> aren't included in Centos, but:
> http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?RPMInstall has a link for
> a simple yum install that gets everything, including a current
> mod_perl for you.

RT is the only reason why I have always had to resort to CPAN for
installing all of the required Perl dependencies on Red Hat based
systems.  I've been doing it for a few years - not once have I had
anything go wrong.

I've read plenty about how one should stick with RPMs on RPM based
distros.  I've also read many times to avoid CPAN like the plague lest
you want a ticking time bomb, but I had no choice when it came to RT (I
have limited RPM packaging experience).

The RT RPM option is recent, and it's an excellent option.  However, at
the moment I'm still running RT on a CentOS 4 box with all of RT's Perl
dependencies installed from CPAN.  I'm now consolidating everything onto
a RHEL 4 box running Xen, so it will be my opportunity to give the RPMs
for RT a try.

Maybe now I won't feel so dirty for polluting my Red Hat box. :)

At any rate, to each his own.

Regards,

Ranbir

--