[CentOS] PERL module woes

Fri Jun 2 18:44:57 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 15:21 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> Exactly, and I think we have to 'evolve' from a set of fixed repositories
> (in CentOS or RPMforge) to a dynamic range of 'appliance' repositories
> that build on top of the base OS and can be used next to the official
> repositories.
>
> They may replace (update) core packages or fix things that are known to be
> broken to many people. If CentOS (wiki?) is able to funnel and manage
> something like this, I'm sure lots of the same cause-inflicted pain can be
> transformed into a community of appliance repositories.
>
> If only there would be a good RPM build tool that provide conformance
> testing with simplicity.

Agreed.  I've always had a vision of a few hundred sysadmins being
able to publish their carefully tuned and maintained package
lists in a way that would allow anyone else to easily duplicate
their setup without knowing much about it.  In some cases this
would involve custom packages but mostly would be specific versions
already available but not necessarily the latest in the repositories.
In this case the 'testing tool' would be the administrator maintaining
the master installation and any number of other machines using his
package list would only update to match when he changes his list.
Meanwhile very different assortments of packages/versions could
also be available in the same repositories without having to
maintain a separate repository to match every desired end user
configuration.

I think this could sort-of be accomplished with the current tools
using some invocation of 'rpm -q' to get a package listing in a
format that could be fed to yum to install.  To make it really
handy, the yum repository configuration would have to also be
automatically managed.  (But, it never made much sense to me to
have a tool that automatically manages your other packages but
itself needs hand configuration...).

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com