[CentOS] Root filesystem is suddenly mounted read-only

Mon Jun 5 13:10:46 UTC 2006
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

On Jun 5, 2006, at 9:03, I wrote:

> This is very strange.  Everything was running fine Friday night.
> This morning I walk into work and find that my root file system
> (which is actually the only filesystem besides /boot) is not
> writable.  Yet mount thinks it's mounted read/write:
>
>   # mount
>   /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
>   [snip]
>   # touch foo
>   touch: cannot touch `foo': Read-only file system
>
> Anyone else seen this?  This is on a relatively recently fresh
> CentOS 4.3 install.

Never mind, shortly after posting this the system started to behave
strangely.  I tried to look in /var/log/messages, and the system
locked up. It's the "EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in
start_transaction: Journal has aborted" problem from a previous post
again.  I've removed the dmraid package, but I've not yet replaced
the SATA cable.  I'll have to do that next...

Alfred