[CentOS] Swap: typical rehash. Why?

Mon Jun 5 22:07:42 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 17:18 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:

> William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> ><snip>

> When I started out in UNIX, it was Interactive 1.3, if I remember, and
> it was a dog.

In performance or trying to understand it? On my 1st 8088 (an Onyx
machine) and 286 I was so impressed that I could carry 4/5/... 8 users
on dumb terminals and still have very good performance on an interactive
application (accounting data entry, purchasing,...). They were
performing almost as well as the DEC PDP 11/70 minis.

> Coming from a DOS world, I guess I was overwhelmed by all
> the things that could be tuned in the kernel.  I probably didn't learn
> much about them then, and still don't know a lot about it, but unless
> you actively try some of the suggestions and see how things work or
> behave, then I guess you still don't know.

I was in a fog a long time as I tried to learn (what seemed) thousands
of different components that resulted from the "do one thing and do it
well philosophy". I now see that philosophy is severely under-
appreciated.

> There seems to have been
> some built in tradeoffs over the course of the years in the unix-like
> OS's, but it's still seems to work the same.  I wonder how well
> Interactive 3.4 would stack up to today's versions of CentOS, all the
> *BSD's and such.

Consider the number of "brains and bodies" that have attacked the Linux
kernel, GNU utilities, etc. If even a small portion of those resources
had been diligently applied to the continued development, enhancement
and maintenance of "traditional" OSs, I'm sure they would hold up well.

But because big (and small) business is the biggest beneficiary of the
"open source" and "free software" movement, they had no reason to
continue with their efforts. They can sit back and take from the open
source community and reduce their costs.

And, as could be predicted, only a small percentage give back to the
community.

--
Bill