[CentOS] Inherited an everything box

Tue Jun 6 17:21:31 UTC 2006
Dan Trainor <dan.trainor at gmail.com>

Ed Morrison wrote:
> Hello Everyone:
>
> I inherited a CentOS 4.x box that appears to have been installed with
> the everything installation option.  I would like to strip the box down
> of all the unnecessary apps and streamline/secure it.  Unfortunately, it
> is a production  box and it would be quite inconvenient to burn down and
> rebuild.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this
> conveniently with yum and still leave the box in a production condition
> i.e. leave it's needed services up and running?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Hi -

I've seen this in the past, and I was fortunate enough for the person to
have used the 'yum group*' commands.

You might be able to get rid of software groups which might contain
these pieces of software.  Looking for the group* commands associated
with Yum, and you might get lucky, in the same manner that I did.

Thanks!
-dant