[CentOS] Installing Centos4.3 in VMWare on XP

Wed Jun 7 19:53:28 UTC 2006
Daniel de Kok <danieldk at pobox.com>

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 12:45 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> You cannot install a system with vmware player. Use vmware server for
> that (or the workstation evaluation copy).

Actually, you can. qemu-img can create VMWare disk images, and create or
modify a VMWare configuration file. According to VMWare employees this
is in compliance with the VMWare Player License, e.g.:

http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=320559#320559

Other distributors even openly encourage taking this route:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VMwarePlayerAndQemu

I guess that it is not much of an issue anymore, now that VMWare Server
is free. But the qemu-img route is fun, and easily scriptable.

-- Daniel