[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Thu Jun 8 11:58:30 UTC 2006
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

On Jun 2, 2006, at 6:57, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> Smartd doesn't work on many SATA drives ... the libata was written for
> pata, and it sometimes causes issues.

I disabled smartd.

> If you are not using RAID, you can remove the dmraid package.  Yes,
> sometimes it can cause issues even if you are not using RAID.

I removed the dmraid RPM and I replaced the SATA cable as suggested
in another reply, but the problem still persists.  Every 2-3 days I
get the error in the subject line, and I have to reboot the system.
I suspect a HW problem, but I've replaced the disk already, and I
don't know what else to try.  There is nothing in /var/log/messages
that looks suspicious (actually, there is literally nothing in /var/
log/messages since Tuesday night until the reboot this morning).
That makes sense, if the file system is getting corrupted, it can't
write errors to a log file.  Any ideas what I can do next to debug
this problem?

Alfred