[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Thu Jun 8 12:48:48 UTC 2006
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

On Jun 8, 2006, at 8:37, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> If this hasn't worked for a long period of time and then just
> failed (in
> other words, this is a new install and has never worked properly)
> then I
> would suspect driver related issues.

This is a brand new PC (IBM/Lenovo ThinkCentre M51) with 4GB of
memory (but the Intel chipset can only address 3GB, so that's all
that's available to the OS), a new 160 GB SATA drive, and a fresh
install.

> I would suggest the following:
>
> 1.  Make sure you have the latest system BIOS available from the
> motherboard manufacturer.  If you have a controller for the SATA
> drives
> that is not on the motherboard, make sure it has the latest BIOS
> offered
> by the manufacturer.

Since the PC is brand new (well, 2 months old), I assume it has the
latest and greatest BIOS, but I will double check that.

> 2.  Make sure you have the latest bios for the hard drive(s) in
> question
> if there are bios updates provided from the hard drive manufacturer
> (that is the case with some SATA hard drives).

The drive was purchased last week, so again I think it's the latest
and greatest.  But how do I check this?

> 3. Look in the BIOS for settings that concern the drives (either in
> the
> motherboard or a separate controller) and ensure you understand what
> each one does and that they are set appropriately for Linux
> operations.

I will do that when I'm back at the PC (I'm in training all day today).

> 4. See if the controller manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer
> provide Linux Drivers for the SATA controllers that might be newer
> than
> the ones in the Linux kernel.

Good ideas.  I will definitely have to look into this.  Does anyone
know if Lenovo is providing Linux drivers at this point?

Alfred