[CentOS] Raid Cards

Thu Jun 8 23:07:12 UTC 2006
rik at harddata.com <rik at harddata.com>

> Just as an FYI, I just did a hexdump of both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb on a
> machine I originally installed as 4.2 (and without manually grubbing)
> and both drives look like the first sector has something boot related on
> them, with text like:

> active partitions...PBR load error...Bad PBR signature........
>
> So I guess the installer got it right.
>
> -Steve

In my experience grub is not being correctly installed when the following
condition exists:

   There is no floppy drive and the floppy controller was not disabled in
the bios of the system.

If you watch the F4 screen near the end of the install there will be an
error about /dev/fd0 and grub doesn't install.

I have not documented this but it has happened to me enough that I
sometimes just put a floppy on for the install so I don't have to play
games before/after rebooting the shiny new system.

Rik