[CentOS] Raid Cards

Fri Jun 9 14:23:08 UTC 2006
Steve <steve27 at cox.net>

Feizhou wrote:

>> The bootloader has always been a weak spot for RH installs.  I
>> remember back in the 4.x and 5.x days I always just assumed that it
>> wouldn't get it right and considered a rescue boot and /usr/sbin/lilo
>> to be just another part of the installaion! ;-)
>

> grub is done properly in FC5 so we can expect the same for RHEL5 and
> therefore Centos 5.

I just looked at the boot sector on the 3 machines that I have running
software raid1.  It looks like the installer got it right on all 3.
IIRC, one was installed as CentOS 4.1, another as 4.2, and another as 4.3.

Hard to believe the upstream provider of an Enterprise Class OS could
allow raid bootloader configuration to not work on a very large
percentage of machines for very long without there being hell to pay,
and big headlines in the trade journals.

Just to get my comment in on linux RAID reliability, like others who
have commented, I was using Linux software raid back in 1999ish (RH 6.2)
for both boot and root.  It worked very well.  My only complaint was
that it wasn't supported by the installer and so it required a fair
amount of jiggery-pokery to get it configured.  I then started ordering
the PERC controllers with the Dell servers we buy.  I've had more
trouble with them actually.  You just never know when support for your
(not so old) controller is going to get silently dropped. (To be fair,
my negative experiences along these lines have been with FC and those
guys don't seem to care what they break or when it gets fixed.)

Since I've switched to CentOS, I've been using software raid1 and
everything seems to be working as advertised, including the support for
/boot and / raid in the the installer.

-Steve