[CentOS] shadow file question

Fri Jun 9 16:09:48 UTC 2006
Steve <steve27 at cox.net>

William L. Maltby wrote:

>So what's GNUsworthy about that? Same old problem new millenium. Unlike
>taking a crap, folks don't care that the job's not done until the
>paperwork is complete. And since it's an unstructured, "do what you want
>to contrib" effort...

I guess we're getting off topic, as this is hardly a CentOS only
problem.  But... documentation is a perfect example of where commercial
entities can really help.  Companies like RedHat can and do pay people
to go through the drudgery of writing docs.  And, to be fair, things are
*much* better than they used to be.  Today, you can pretty much count on
being able to "man zwonkumd.conf" and get some documentation on that
config file.  Back in the RH 6.x days, I remember that was a rarity.

It wouldn't hurt, though, if more projects would take the "Until it's
documented, we won't advertise it as a feature" attitude.  I believe
that Debian has such a policy about their distro.

Thing is, though, we CentOS users have little right to complain.  Paying
RH customers do.  But we can hardly fault Johnny and gang.  We have no
recourse but to ask "Why hasn't someone documented XYZ?".  To which the
answer is the perenial "Because no one has cared enough to do it.  Hey
why don't *you* do it after you get it all figured out?".  Which is
always pretty irritating, because it is so true.

-Steve