[CentOS] Re: PXE booting HP BL25p - Smart Array extended bios data area problem

Fri Jun 9 17:46:51 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Miskell, Craig spake the following on 6/8/2006 5:25 PM:
> Hi,
> 	I recently took delivery of a bunch of HP BL25p blades to add to
> my collection.  I am attempting to install Centos4 x86_64 using PXE -
> the initial PXE DHCP stuff works, and the kernel and initrd are
> downloaded, but the server then immediately clears the screen and
> displays:
> "1706-Smart Array Controller Extended BIOS Data Area Memory Corrupted
> Array Controller Interrupt 14h BIOS Cannot Continue
> System Halted"
>
> It's pretty obvious what the problem probably is (the kernel nukes some
> bit of memory that it shouldn't, or that the smart array hasn't properly
> marked as reserved), but I don't know what to do to fix it.  I have also
> tried:
> 1) The i386 kernel and initrd images
> 2) The RedHat AS4 kernel/initrd images
> 3) The Centos3 i386 kernel and initrd images
> 4) Downgrading the System ROM BIOS and Smart Array BIOS (as shipped it
> had the latest versions) to versions up to a year old.
> 5) Playing with memmap to exclude mem from 610-640K from being used by
> the kernel.
>
> Booting from CD works, but is suboptimal (I have to type the kernel
> kickstart options, and I don't want to have to do that 16 times, plus I
> want easy repeatability in future).
If you can't resolve this, make a custom boot cd with your kickstart file and
the proper kernel options in it.
It will at least get your hardware in service.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and