[CentOS] custom cd's

Fri Jun 9 19:45:00 UTC 2006
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>

On Fri, 2006-09-06 at 14:00 -0500, Steve wrote:
> Because I don't like the way k12ltsp works.  Because it requires PXE.
> Because I feel that certain things belong on the client, and certain
> things belong on the server.
>
> I've thought about using k12ltsp instead, but somehow it seems "messy"
> compared to what I am doing.
>
> I believe in server-centricity.  But too much of a good thing can still
> be bad.  YMMV.  It depends on the exact situation and the people involved.

LTSP has it's good points, but based on your answer, I think you might
like Thinstation a whole lot better.

Same concept: PXE boot thin client.  But:

1. Doesn't use NFS
2. Run apps on the server or on the thin client, or both at the same
time (on different virtual terminals).
3. XDMCP, NX, RDP, VNC, Tarantella, Citrix ICA, ThinLinc (wtf?), Telnet,
tn5250, VMS term and SSH.
4. Boot from PXE, floppy, CD, HD, flash disk
5. Local device support: HD, flopper, CD, USB keys, printers
6. Easily customize up the wazoo
7. Local light desktop option: icewm or blackbox
8. Auto install/update HD/flash disk installs, and schedule reboots!
9. Excellent wireless support.
10. MASSIVE installations in use: 2000+ for one site alone, expanding to
add 2000+ more (check out the mail list archives).

There's more, but that gives you an idea.

Thinstation is heavily being used in Windows environments to connect to
Citrix and WTS farms.  But, there are a lot of XDMCP users, too.  I'm
currently rolling it out to a big site here in Ontario.

BTW, lately there has been a very bug uptake in interest in Thinstation.
Not quite sure why since Thinstation isn't widely known in the
Linux/FOSS communities.  Seems like the Windows people are spreading the
word and dumping their pseudo thin clients (e.g. Wyse) for Thinstation.

HTH,

Regards
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu