[CentOS] Old (really old) programs under CentOS.

Sun Jun 11 06:15:33 UTC 2006
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On 6/10/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd expect the VMware route to be completely painless and have
> the least surprises.

I'll second that.  I have some libc5-ware that was originally written
for RH5.2 running via the compatibility libraries on a RH6.2 guest
operating system in VMware on CentOS 3.6, and it all works perfectly.
I start a VNC server from /etc/sysconfig/vncservers that in turn
starts up VMware Workstation configured to auto-boot the guest.  Then
I just have to remember to connect to that VNC and shut down the guest
before any reboot of the host.

I have a similar setup using the free VMware player on a different
machine with a CentOS 4.3 host, though I haven't yet gotten around to
trying to get that to auto-boot.

However, don't expect the latest VMware Tools to work with such an
ancient guest OS.