[CentOS] Changing from dynamic ip to static ip

Tue Jun 13 11:35:44 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 18:53 -0400, Thomas E Dukes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been on a dynamic ip for about 5 years and have just upgraded to a
> static ip.
>
> I know I need to change my network setup on my eth0 nic to static and stop
> ddclient from trying to update my address but is there _really_ anything
> else I need to change.  I have a couple of websites on this address using
> *:80 in my httpd.conf.  I can easily change this but don't think it would
> really make any difference if I don't.
>
> Also, my ISP is using different lingo than what linux uses.  I suspect they
> think everyone runs Windoze.  Can anyone decipher this for me, my ISP tech
> support has already gone for the day.
>
> IP Addresses: 	71.30.117.0/30
> Netmask: 	255.255.255.252
> Router IP: 	71.30.117.1         <---------------  This
> Useable IP's: 	71.30.117.2   <---------------  and this
>
> My ip address, if I do an ifconfig, is 71.30.117.1.  This has me a little
> confused as they tell me my ip address is 71.30.117.2

Each end of the "wire" has an address. They see their end as being the
"router" and the port being used for you is the "...1" address. Your end
of the wire is the "...2" address. Their IP address is usefull

If you changed the network-scripts on your side (or used the GUI on your
X desktop to do it) to include the static address on your end of the
wire, added DNS name server IPs to resolve.conf, you should be OK.

Do an netstat -rn and you'll see something that helps clarify it?

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill