[CentOS] Re: Changing from dynamic ip to static ip

Tue Jun 13 17:34:44 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

William L. Maltby spake the following on 6/13/2006 4:41 AM:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 18:53 -0400, Thomas E Dukes wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been on a dynamic ip for about 5 years and have just upgraded to a
>> static ip.
> <snip>
>
> I almost didn't mention it because it's so common a concern now, but
> just in case.
>
> Static IP gives attackers a lot more leeway in their attempts to
> penetrate. Be sure your firewall (from ISP and iptables on CentOS
> machine) are now appropriate for your situation. With port 80 open, make
> sure your server stuff is kept up-to-date with security fixes. Make sure
> all services not needed are disabled. TCP wrappers (hosts.deny and
> hosts.allow) are up to snuff.
>
> HTH
I have a dynamic address at home, and according to the logs, it hasn't changed
for over a year.
So I think the firewall and TCP Wrappers stuff applies to ANY machine
connected to the internet.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and