[CentOS] Re: Any plans to update kernel-utils for newer smartmontools

Tue Jun 13 19:19:25 UTC 2006
Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu>

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 at 12:05pm,
> rik at harddata.com wrote
>
>> I have SATA drives and have found that the newest smartmontools package
>> will retrieve smart data from SATA drives with the '-d ata' switch.
>>
>> Is there a devel/testing package of kernel-utils available or should I
>> just roll my own?
>
> WORKSFORME on both centos3 and centos4 with stock tools and kernels.

Not me.  On our boxes with SATA drives, smartd fails to start, and this is
sent to /var/log/messages:

Jun 13 14:17:37 foo smartd[10289]: Device /dev/sda, SATA disks accessed via
libata are not currently supported by smartmontools. When libata is given
an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an additional '-d libata' device type will be
added to smartmontools.

-- rex