[CentOS] CentOS 4.3 under VMWare ESX 2.5.3 Server

Wed Jun 14 18:32:32 UTC 2006
Finnur Örn Guðmundsson <finnzi at finnzi.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Adriano Viscarde wrote:
>
>> I have a  IBM XSeries 366 with 04 processors Intel Xeon 3.16 Ghz, 16 Gb
>> of memory and a storage IBM with 2 terabytes.
>> I work with virtualization and my OS in this machine is a VMware ESX
>> 2.5.3 version. When I install CentOS 4.X as guest operating system under
>> ESX,  the performance is very  very bad. When I intsall RHES4 as guest
>> operating system under ESX, the performance is very good. It will be
>> that it has some problem CentOS to work with virtualization?
>>

> Can you provide some details on what tests you ran to determine the
> performance ? even if its just a few simple things, I'd like to know so
> we can see where the problem might be.
>
> I'm running CentOS on vmware-server, not ESX, and have had no real
> issues except the time loosing-sync, which is a vmware issue more than a
> CentOS issue ( and there are a lot of fix's for it hanging around ).
>
> - KB

Hi,

I've had some experience with RHEL4 & ESX 2.5.x

ESX 2.5.x does not really support kernel 2.6 very nicely ....but ESX 3.0
that just came out does it perfectly (or so does VMWare tell me:))

So ....either stay with CentOS3 or upgrade your ESX to 3.0 :O

Laters,
Finnur

believed to be clean.