[CentOS] How to create a secure user only for ssh login?

Wed Jun 14 19:00:19 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 20:22 +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 12:38:51 PM -0500, Les Mikesell
> (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 18:56 +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> >
> > > I've read on several howtos that one way to make ssh more secure,
> > > or at least reduce the damage if somebody breaks in, is to NOT
> > > allow direct ssh login from root, but allow logins from another
> > > user. So you have to know two passwords in order to do any real
> > > damage.

I'm new to all this, so I hope it's useful. This WFM (Works For Me) in
my little LAN.

Better is no passwords? I ssh around my little niche using only the
files '*known_hosts' in ~/.ssh and /etc/ssh and the public keys. If you
have a restricted set of nodes from which you access the server, this
seems an ideal solution for the "authorized access" part of your task.
On my IPCop gateway, I don't allow password-based authentication and
login.

> [...]
> > Normally you would want people to use their own account for the
> > initial login - <snip>

If passwordless login works for you, then maybe a restricted shell or
chroot, once you are in, to further restrict? IIRC from recent readings
of many docs *trying* to learn some of this stuff, that stuff doesn't
have to be root either. So if they can be set as some other user and
group, you don't have to worry about what root can do.

HTH
--
Bill