[CentOS] Changed md5sums on a bare-bones install. Logical explanation?

Thu Jun 15 07:57:54 UTC 2006
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 19:40, John Ziniti wrote:
> William Hooper wrote:
> > John Ziniti wrote:
> >> I'm looking at some strange behavior on a _very_ barebones
> >> installation.  I'd like to get some feedback on possible logical
> >> explanations.
> >>
> >> * What I'm seeing:  The md5sum of all of my binaries in
> >> /usr/bin and /usr/sbin are changing exactly one hour
> >> after installation of CentOS-4.3.
> >
> > man prelink
>
> Aha!  Well, the good news is that you are, of course, right and
> there is a logical explanation for this after all (Whew!).
>
> The only bad news I guess, is that I've wasted so much time
> looking for a mysterious problem that isn't there :-/
>
> Just for posterity, the following was what I used to verify
> that the changes were from prelinking:
>
> # prelink --undo /usr/sbin/lsof
> # md5sum /usr/sbin/lsof

Maybe not quite helpful for setting up tripwire, but rpm -V can verify
checksums on files (or more correctly on files belonging to rpm packages)
even with prelink enabled.

Alternatively, if you havn't found it yet, prelink is disabled
in /etc/sysconfig/prelink.

/Peter

> The md5sum from that last command gave me the result I
> desired.   Re-running prelink on /usr/sbin/lsof gives me
> the "foreign" md5sum again.  I guess I'll just have to prelink from
> now on before I initialize tripwire.
>
> Thanks a ton, William.  If you're ever in Boston, I owe
> you a [ affordable beverage of your choice ].
>
> - JZ

  Peter Kjellström               |
  National Supercomputer Centre  |
  Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se