[CentOS] SCSI Raid

Thu Jun 15 15:25:56 UTC 2006
Edward R. Bailey <ed at commercescience.com>

I agree, the LSI megaraid cards work much better then Adaptec cards. The only downside is that megaraid cards do not have good administration tools at all.

Ed Bailey

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Baker-LePain [mailto:jlb17 at duke.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:09 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] SCSI Raid

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 at 11:00am, Bowie Bailey wrote

> It's pretty well established that 3ware is a good "real" hardware raid
> card for SATA drives.
>
> So what is a good card for SCSI raid?  My searches have come up with
> Adaptec and LSI as the main players here.  Are the LSI MegaRAID cards
> "real" hardware raid?  Which cards can give good raid 5 performance?

Yes, the MegaRAIDs are "real" hardware RAID (a quick look at the specs shows the onboard IOP).  I honestly don't know how they perform in RAID5 (I use mine for a cluster head node, just doing RAID1), but I'd make sure you get the PCI-X (or PCIe) versions rather than the regular PCI ones.
The driver support is quite good, but the monitoring is a little tougher.

I've been shying away from Adapted for a while now, so I have no experience with them at all.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering