[CentOS] Changing timezone

Fri Jun 16 22:54:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 10:59 -0400, Adam Gibson wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > Tom Brown wrote:
> >> How can i change the timezone on a 4.3 box? This used to be available
> >> using the 'setup' utility but seems not anymore.
> >>
> >> thanks
> > I've always removed /etc/localtime and created a symbolic link to the
> > timezone file of choice.
> >
> > ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT /etc/localtime
>
> Older versions of RedHat (6.x maybe) used to place a link instead of a
> copy of the zoneinfo file when configuring the timezone by default.  I
> wonder why they changed it to a copy.  Only thing I can think of is that
> if the timezone directory structure changes during an RPM update your
> localtime  link will stop working.  The disadvantage of the current copy
> behavior is that when the zoneinfo gets updated(like the new US Daylight
> changes next year) you have to manually go to all the servers and set
> the timezone again(manually or through the utility that comes with the
> RedHat/CentOS version you are using).

The reason they changed is that /usr is not ALWAYS available for linking
on all systems.  By design, /usr is not available in single user
mode ... also maybe not available in some custom runlevel 2 setups by
clients.

/etc is always there ... even in single use mode.

This doesn't effect 99% of people ... as /usr is always available in my
boot ups, and if I need to change the timezone, I do create links ...
but it is probably more technically correct to copy the file instead
to /etc.