[CentOS] 64-bit ISO Burning Failures

Sat Jun 17 21:59:12 UTC 2006
Philip Wyett <philipwyett at blueyonder.co.uk>

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 14:36 -0700, karl at klxsystems.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded several different sets of the 64-bit ISOs, and have
> burned them to CD using various of my known-good ISO burning softwares,
> including Nero and DeepBurn on Windows, as well as the native CD burning
> KDE linux tool on Xandros Linux.  I am using mirrors from the site, like
> kernel.org.
>
> I have chosen low burning speeds also, but when I insert the ISO CD into a
> server and boot it up, the ISO doesn't work.  I have all of the BIOs/boot
> settings perfect, the machine is definitely 64-bit, and even when I insert
> another OS, like Fedora, or Whitebox, it works fine.
>
> Is there something i'm not doing, or doing wrong when burning these 64 bit
> CD's?  I'm in a colo facility and would really like to leave here having
> converted a bunch of my WBEL and FC boxes to 64-bit Centos.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> -karlski

Hi,

Before saying anything, I would advise that before attempting to burn is
to check the md5sum.

I do not think this is isolated to the 64 bit release. Since moving to
CentOS I have been able to record the DVD iso's with all manner of DVD
recording software on many machines and operating systems. However,
unless I use growisofs, disks created with other software will not
boot on any of in 10 test machines I have.

I do:

growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=path_to_iso_file/centos_dvd_iso_file_i_want.iso

(hdc is my DVD recorder, yours maybe different)

This issue needs to be be looked at in relation to how Redhat build
their disk images be that RHEL or Fedora to give CentOS the same quality
of disk images.

Regards

Phil