[CentOS] CentOS-4.4 - Some major changes on the way

Tue Jun 20 16:58:44 UTC 2006

Simon J Mudd wrote:
>> "ALL these changes will be implemented upstream and rolled out in the
>> released source code, so they will be incorporated into CentOS as well."
>
> Then, yes, I misread the original post and apologise.  I had assumed that
> the CentOS developers were planning on providing newer versions than
> the upstream source.

We do provide such packages ( eg. php5 and mysql5 ), in alternative
non-core repositories. ( eg. CentOS Plus ). These are disabled by
default. User intervention is required to get them enabled / setup.
Using a standard install and not changing parameters on your package
manager ensures you stay with the base distro, which tracks upstream only.